Plac Tadeusza Kościuszki Oświęcim
Plac Tadeusza Kościuszki
Plac Tadeusza Kościuszki, 32-600 Oświęcim Tourist subregion: Oświęcimski
Plac Tadeusza Kościuszki – the former Nowy Rynek (New Market Square) – was designed as a place for fairs and markets held outside the city in the 19th century.
On 14th October 1917, it received the name of Tadeusz Kościuszko; since 22nd July 1967, it has served as a place of patriotic ceremonies. This change of its function happened after the plaque of the symbolic Monument to the Unknown Soldier was relocated from the Main Market Square. In 1992, the bas-relief was replaced with the figure of the Virtuti Militari Cross and a replica of the original memorial plate was laid. On 11th November 1992, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier was officially unveiled and consecrated, and four urns were embedded at the foot of the cross, with soil brought from the cemetery of the Lwów Eaglets, Katyn, Rajsko and Proszowice.